Home
What's On

History


Attractions

Cycling
Knockhill Racing Circuit
Preston Island

Scottish Bus Museum


Community groups

Riding for the Disabled
VERT


Accommodation

A stay in Fife
Scotland's Best
About Scotland
Visit Scotland


Links

Culross Festival
Knockhill
Bus Museum
Fife Direct
Weather
Fife Police


Publications

 


 


OTHER MINUTES
 
 

 
     
 

Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minutes (PDF files)

April 24, 2017

March 28, 2017

February 28, 2017

January 31, 2017

November 2016

October 2016

September 2016

August 2016

June 2016

May 2016

April 2016

March 2016

February 2016

January 2016

November 2015

October 2015

September 2015

August 2015

Community Council matters, August 2015

June 2015

April 2015

March 2015

February 2015

January 2015

October 2014

September 2014

August 2014

June 2014

May 2014

April 2014

February 2014

AGM

January 2014

November 2013

October 2013

April 2013

January 2012

November 2012

October 2012

October 2012 (Secretary's report)

August 2012

May 2102

May 2012 (Secretary's Report)

April 2012

April 2012 (Secretary's Report)

March 2012

January 2012

November 2011

 

Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minute of Meeting of 25.10.11 in Saline Community Centre

1. Present

Jim Hensman (chair) John Crane ( vice chair), Marie Crane (treasurer), Dave Quinney (secretary), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Donald Murdoch, Joan Featherstone, Craig Mitchell, Joe Fitzpatrick, Kay Jackson, John Lyon, David Chisholm, Helen Law, Carole Pearson, Roddy Jones, Dennis McIntosh, Margaret McIntosh, Jean Alexander,

3. Apologies

Cllr Walker, Cllr Clelland, Karen Marsh, Liz Crabbie

4. Minute of 27.09.11

Proposed by Irene Wardell, seconded by Dave Quinney

5. Matters arising

Dave Quinney indicated that the 40mph speed limit between Saline and Steelend was already in operation

6. Treasurer’s Report

Marie Crane indicated that the balance was the same as last month (£1606.11p) but bonfire night has still to be paid

7. Planning

There are no current planning applications of any note but the application to erect 2 houses at Loch Road has been approved. Despite local suggestions, Fife Council did not require the developer to contribute to upgrading the unadopted section of Loch road. Transportation felt that the current condition restricted speeding! It was also noted that the owners of the chicken farm at Upper Steelend had appealed against Fife Council’s refusal of their application for the erection of an anemometer mast.

Roddy Jones asked for the community council position on the two proposed developments on Oakley Road. Jim Hensman indicated that no position could be taken on the Kingdom Homes proposal until the situation is clearer. Donald Murdoch indicaed that the community council gad not opposed the LRD proposal but had suggested that development at Comrie colliery would have been preferable. There had been no objections from anyone in the community to this local plan proposals.

David Chisholm confirmed that a meeting had been arranged for 2nd November and that, hopefully, this would make things a bit clearer

A gate has appeared in the fence bordering the community centre car park. This appears to be part of the development of the adjoining property As the approved drawings do not reflect this access, Dave Quinney agreed to raise this with Fife Council


8. Secretary’s Report

  • Invite from Torryburn and Newmills Community Council to unveiling of restored stained glass window. Dave Quinney to attend

  • Letter from Land Engineering re liaison group for Muirside opencast site. Dave Quinney to attend

  • 20mph speed restrictions to be implemented in side streets and Oakley Road with speed cushions on Oakley Road and North Road. Red textured surfaces will be provided at entrances to 20mph streets. Plans are available for inspection

  • Sixth Review of Parliamentary constituencies: It is proposed to reduce the number of Scottish constituencies from 59 to 52. This affects the local area as a new constituency covering all of Clacks, West Fife Villages and West Dunfermline to be called Clacks and West Dunfermline is proposed.

  • Fife Council will only refuse to collect waste along unadopted roads that are in such poor condition that they cannot be negotiated safely by refuse vehicles. In such instances residents are advised of the reasons and remedial action required. The Council also offers an assisted lift service to the ill or infirm who are unable to put their bin out and have no-one to do it for them

  • Saline is included in an area where it is proposed the right to buy social housing

  • Fife Council Parks have been e mailed about grass cutting during inclement weather but there has been no response to date

  • Scottish Water say that the road surface at Redcraigs Nursery is temporary as further works are to be carried out

  • The new flashing speed sign at Steelend is obscured by a lamp post and branches. The secretary will contact Fife Council about this


9. Kinneddar Park Traffic Issues

Residents continue to be concerned about traffic speeding through the village and a number of near accidents. They have asked the community council to take this up. It was agreed that the secretary should write initially to Fife Council asking that traffic calming measures be implemented. It was noted that the farmer at Blairgreen Farm has experienced problems in entering and leaving safely and had asked about relocating his access further south. It was felt that this had merit and that it might be possible to solve some issues by a mini roundabout at the junction with the Comrie Colliery access.

10. AOCB

  • Marie Crane indicated that an application had been submitted to Fife Council to enable publication of the community bulletin to continue. David Chisholm and Donald Murdoch have incurred expense in printing the first two issues and it was agreed that they should be recompensed

  • John Crane confirmed that he had written to the Police about bonfire arrangements. Wood will be delivered on 3rd November with a view to starting construction at 10am on the 5th. Craig Mitchell will provide equipment. John also asked for help to clear the site on Sunday morning

  • Dave Quinney has prepared a draft paper on wind farms. Comments should be brought to the next meeting

  • John Crane indicated that volunteers to sell raffle tickets in the Loch Road area are required

  • John Crane indicated that calendars are still available for purchase

12. Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 29th November 2011 at 7.30pm in Saline Community Centre. This will incorporate the AGM and Cllr Clelland will preside


Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minute of Meeting of 27.09.11 in Saline Community Centre

1.

Present

John Crane (chair), Marie Crane (treasurer), Dave Quinney, Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Donald Murdoch, Craig Mitchell, Joe Fitzpatrick, Joan Featherstone, Roger Featherstone, Kay Jackson, John Lyon, Linda Moyes, David Chisholm, Helga Corp, Helen Law, Mark Baugh, Liz Crabbie, Laura McGuinness, Felicity Pearson, Carole Pearson, Joanna Jackson, Mandy Patterson, Roddy Jones, Sue Jones, Max Horne, Rajeev Nataraja, Andrew Stewart, Amy Marsh, Karen Marsh, Anne Melrose, Iain Walker, Margaret Murray, Dona Clark, Bob White, Jim Evans, Lesley Prentice, Russ Prentice


2. Guest: Alan Kenney (LRD)

Alan was in attendance to advise on progress with the opencast site west of Saline and around Comrie Colliery. The site will be in operation for 3 years with 1 year restoration. 15p per tonne is to be paid into a royalty fund and LRD will be setting up a trust to administer income. This is lower than elsewhere due to the costs of decontaminating the site. Coal will be extracted via the A907 west of Blairhall and LRD has no need to use the existing access although this has been left open for access by residents. The remains of Bickram village are unaffected. Some of the red shale may be removed for roads sub bases and the company will provide some for the paths proposed by Saline Environmental Group

The development around Kinneddar Mains was identified by Fife Council some time ago and on the basis that this and land in Blairhall would offset high decontamination of the colliery site. The next stage is consultation on what is acceptable. Regarding the rationale for the numbers in the local plan, Fife Council would have to be asked and any arguments should be taken up with the council

Kay Jackson raised the inaccuracies in an anonymous leaflet about social housing that had been circulated around Upper Kinneddar. This was deplored and John Crane praised David Chisholm for this commitment to the community and continuing hard work. David Chisholm suggested that concerned parties could attend the next Housing Group meeting when the background to its activities could be better explained


3. Apologies

Cllr Walker, Cllr Clelland, Kate Stewart, Jim Hensman, Muriel Philips, Jean Alexander


4. Minute of 30.08.11

Proposed by Dave Quinney, seconded by Joan Featherstone


5. Matters arising

None


6. Treasurer’s Report

The grant for bonfire night has been received but there is still a need to sell raffle tickets. John Crane distributed them to volunteers


7. Planning

There are no current planning applications of any note but a request for information on the contents of an Environmental Impact Assessment for a proposed wind turbine development at west Craighouse has been submitted. This can be inspected on Fife Direct but this is purely a request for information, not a planning application. Joe Fitzpatrick, agent, set the background for the request and suggested the financial benefits to the community


8. Secretary’s Report

  • Letter to Fife Council re road surface at Redcraigs Nursery has been acknowledged and will be investigated by Transportation

  • 40mph speed limit from Saline to Steelend and 20mph speed limit on Oakley Road will be implemented shortly

  • Condition of community centre roof is to be investigated by Fife Council

  • T Docherty MP has been contacted re Thorneyhill turbine proposals and concern expressed about a proliferation of wind farms in this area. Council reports/comments are being examined with a view to presenting a report to the community council

  • Damaged street lights at Upper Kinneddar Gardens to be inspected

  • Cemetery area has been inspected re complaints about dog fouling and no evidence found. However, this could be due to grass cutting before the inspection. The community is asked to monitor the situation and report any known persons to the Dog Warden

  • A reply from Mary Parry from Mybus is awaited

  • It has not been possible to contact RBS Community Force but will keep trying

  • E mail invite to community information day on Little Raith Wind Farm was received a day after the event. A response/explanation is still awaited


9. AOCB

  • Helen Law advised that the Community Action Plans have been received from the printers received and will be delivered shortly. Everyone will be invited to the launch on 8th October

  • Jim Evans offered to help with the design and setting up of a village web site

  • Jim Evans advised of changes to bin collection arrangements, which means that some residents in Cowstrandburn will have to take bins a considerable distance. Kay Jackson advised that this was already the situation in the High Steelend Area

  • Marie Crane confirmed that the bonfire would be on Saturday 5th November and that volunteers are required to make it and clear up afterwards

  • Laura McGuinness advised that the Gala Committee is looking for new members

  • Linda Moyes indicated that the Heritage Group’s next meeting would be on 28th September at 7.30 in the church hall. Sharon McCall will be speaking on Andrew Carnegie’s libraries

  • David Chisholm advised of complaints about the way grass is being cut and the associated mess. It was agreed that the secretary should write to Fife Council about this


12. Date of Next Meeting


Tuesday 25th September 2011 at 7.30pm in Saline Community Centre



Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minute of Meeting of 28.06.11 in Saline Community Centre


1. Present

Jim Hensman (chair) John Crane, Marie Crane (treasurer), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Donald Murdoch, Craig Mitchell, Jean Alexander, Joan Featherstone, Roger Featherstone, Kay Jackson, John Lyon, Linda Bogue, Kate Stewart, Jackie Kerr, Linda Moyes, David Chisholm, Jim Evans, Cllr Bobby Clelland, Alan Henderson (Kingdom Housing Association)


2. Apologies

Dave Quinney, Cllr Walker, Helen Law


3. Alan Henderson (Development Manager, Kingdom Housing Association)

Kingdom have been looking for suitable land for some time and are keen to acquire the Oakley Road site. The site would be developed for a variety of sustainable housing with mixed tenure. The site is not in the current Local Plan but a case for exemption can be made for social housing. 77 families are currently on the waiting list from the West Fife Villages with Saline as their first choice although not all will necessarily be living in Saline at present. The biggest demand is for housing for the elderly. Kingdom is obliged to allocate to those with the greatest need. Houses would have a minimum of 2 bedrooms.

Kingdom would be keen to work with the community council and the Development Trust group. Some present expressed concern about traffic dangers on Oakley Road. Alan pointed out that Fife Council was already proposing housing to the east of Kinneddar Steadings and he anticipated a roundabout being required, which would slow down traffic at the entrance to the village.

Kingdom will now be starting negotiations with the landowner. Whether they progress is dependent on a price being agreed and viability of the development. Alan explained how Kingdom arrived at their valuation and indicated that the government grant had been significantly reduced, impacting on the viability of any site.


4. Minute of 31.05 .11

Proposed by Jean Alexander, seconded by Irene Wardell


5. Matters arising

  • See secretary’s report


6. Treasurer’s Report

There is £1273.86 in the bank but £459.46 has been spent on fireworks, leaving a balance of £459.46. The grant from Fife Council has been approved but not yet received. A grant for bonfire night will be submitted next week


7. Planning

There are no current planning applications of any note but it has been reported that a company is proposing a biomass plant at Blairingone. This has resulted in the formation of an action group against it in Blairingone. As the site is close to our area, a watching brief will be maintained

Kay Jackson and David Chisholm raised issues about the actions of Dunduff residents in opposing the proposed wind turbines on their land. They were concerned that the issue was being personalised and that they were being targeted by objectors. This is a matter of some concern to the community council.

It was noted that Vidor Energy were giving a presentation in the golf club later this week about the smaller scale turbines such as those at Lynn Farm . Hopefully, this will put the proposals into some perspective


8. Secretary’s Report

  • Reply to letter re proliferation of wind turbines

  • New Rennies service to replace 71 starts on 28th August. Timetables will be available in Dunfermline Bus station about 3 weeks before

  • Linda Purdie (Community Council Support) is leaving her post and will not be replaced. In the meantime, the contact will be Bill Welsh

  • It appears that reports of commuters using QMH car parks is incorrect. Dave will monitor the general parking situation at the hospital

  • A movement is building up to oppose closure of Ward 16 QMH. Comments should be sent to Dave

  • A reply has been received about signs at Upper Kinneddar but further details are awaited



9. A.O.C.B

  • Donald Murdoch advised that some residents had queried the funding of floral displays in Kelty and elsewhere. Discussions with Fife Council had established that these had been funded by the community council with some support from the Area Budget. Keith Jackson (Parks) had offered to meet representatives from the community to look at sites raised in various consultation exercises. This will take place at 1pm on Friday 15th July meeting at the Oaklea entrance on Main Street

  • Linda Moyes updated on progress with the new Heritage Society. Their open day had been very popular and the session house will be open from 11.30-1.30 on Sunday 3rd July for inspection of displays

  • David Chisholm reported on his and Donald Murdoch’s visit to Mybus in Methil and the good work that was being done. Mybus’s manager, Mary Parry, had offered to work with the Development Trust group to possibly apply for funding for a local pilot project

  • John Crane submitted a letter of thanks from Inzievar PS pupils for the use of display boards

  • John Crane gave an update on the calendar being produced by the West Fife Villages Community Planning Group


10. Chairman’s Remarks

Jim Hensman reported on progress with the Action Plan from the Communities Future work. This will set out the community’s priorities and should be a useful aid to groups seeking funds for individual projects.



11. Date of Next Meeting


Tuesday 30th August 2011 at 8pm in Saline Community Centre following the Environmental Group meeting




Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minute of Meeting of 31.05.11 in Saline Community Centre


1. Present

Jim Hensman (chair) John Crane, Marie Crane (treasurer), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Liz Crabbie, Helga Corp, Donald Murdoch, Craig Mitchell, Jean Alexander, Joan Featherstone, Roger Featherstone, Dave Quinney, Kay Jackson, Muriel Phillips, Craig Mitchell, John Lyon, Linda Bogue, Kate Stewart, Jackie Kerr, Liz Smith, Laura McGuinness, Cllr W Walker


2. Apologies

Ken Fraser, David Chisholm


3. Minute of 26.04.11

Proposed by Jean Alexander, seconded by Irene Wardell


4. Matters arising

  • Dave Quinney has written to fife Council about the Common Good Fund

  • Ken Fraser has indicated that he has been unable to contact Mrs Crane about the future of the Saline Hotel site


5. Treasurer’s Report

The Accounts have now been audited and stand at £1273. A donation has been made to the Dunduff group. Fireworks must be ordered by the end of June. In the meantime an application for assistance will be made to Fife Council


6. Planning

  • An application has been submitted for 6 turbines at Steelend Farm. Kay Jackson confirmed that this was a replacement for the 3 turbines previously approved. Kay expressed concerns that the community council’s donation was being used to oppose developments outwith the area. She suggested that a representative from the company currently promoting the smaller scale turbines be invited to a future meeting. This was agreed

  • Donald Murdoch advised on the Community Futures Consultation. This was successful and a number of people had indicated a willingness to stay involved. The key priorities were activities for young people and the path to Oakley while the future of the former saline Hotel remains a concern. Lesley Campbell has prepared a summary that will be available shortly. The next step will be the finalisation of the Action Plan


7. Secretary’s Report

  • Fair Fuel Campaign: It was agreed that Dave should write to Bill Walker MSP about this campaign’s wish to stop further duty increases in this Parliament, to achieve parity with Europe in terms of duty and to set up a Fair Fuels stabiliser

  • Fife Access Seminar: to be held in Rothes Halls on 9th June. Donald Murdoch and Joan Featherstone will be attending

  • Transportation Service: It was suggested that Transportation’s contact centre be bombarded with complaints about the condition of the road through Steelend. It was noted that this is not included in Fife Council’s “Improving Fife Roads” leaflet

  • Royal Mail: Royal Mail are still denying responsibility about the Christmas shambles and it is pointless following this up any further

  • Subsidised Bus Services: From August 2011 the daytime 72 service from Steelend to Culross will be replaced by a new Service 28. This will extend westwards to Kincardine and Falkirk. Eastwards it will extend to Wellwood, Dunfermline and Queen Margaret Hospital. Some evening services will also be introduced. This was welcomed but it is important that people use the service or lose it.

  • Insurance Policy: Renewed from 1st April 2011


8. Group Updates

Gala Committee: Liz Smith advised that £400 had been raised from their Bingo Night. Raffle tickets are awaited. The gala will be held on 18th June

Saline Heritage Society: Linda Moyes advised that the society had been formed and described its objectives

Saline Environmental Group: John Lyon advised that the Horticultural Society had offered to tidy up the entrance to Saline glen and that the Environmental group had agreed to meet the costs of this


9. Bill Walker MSP

Bill advised that he would continue as a councillor until the 2012 elections as he felt that the cost of a by election would impose an unnecessary burden on taxpayers. In the intervening period he is being assisted by Kate Stewart and will continue to attend community council meetings.

He is aware of people’s concerns about wind power issues


10. A.O.C.B

  • Marie Crane advised of difficulties with deliveries to Upper Kinneddar Gardens being delivered to homes in Upper Kinneddar due the positioning of a Fife Council street sign. It was agreed that Dave Quinney should write to Fife Council suggesting that the sign be relocated.

  • Liz Crabbie advised of complaints about Fife Council vehicles in West Park making a mess


11. Date of Next Meeting


Tuesday 28th June 2011 at 8pm in Saline Community Centre following the Environmental Group meeting



Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minute of Meeting of 26.04.11 in Saline Community Centre


1. Present

Jim Hensman (chair) John Crane, Marie Crane (treasurer), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Helga Corp, Donald Murdoch, Craig Mitchell, Jean Alexander, Joan Featherstone, Ken Fraser, Dave Quinney, David Chisholm, Kay Jackson, Muriel Phillips, Craig Mitchell, Jim Evans, John Lyon, Linda Bogue, Cllr W Walker


2. Apologies

Roger Featherstone


3. Minute of 29.03.11

Proposed by Joan Featherstone, seconded by Marie Crane


4. Matters arising

Members were reminded of the need for volunteers for the “First Responders” initiative


5. Treasurer’s Report

There is no change from last month and the auditor’s report on 2010/11 is awaited. A letter of thanks has been received from the “Smilers” group

6. Planning

  • An application has been submitted for a turbine at Newbigging Farm. While outwith our boundaries, this is another application adding concerns about West Fife being targeted

  • DM reported on a meeting with Dunduff residents regarding the latest wind turbine application. JC proposed that the new group be awarded a donation of £100 similar to that given to SCAAT and this was agreed

  • Concerns were expressed about the condition of the former Saline Hotel, which provoked a lively discussion

  • DM advised on progress on the Community Consultation and of the forthcoming workshop sessions. Some of the subjects discussed at the community council meeting could be explored in greater detail at this event


7. Secretary’s Report

  • Local Council Shadowing Award: This is designed to recognize young people’s understanding and involvement in local democracy. Any young person interested should contact Dave Quinney

  • Fair Fuel Campaign: wants to stop all further duty rises in this parliament, aim to achieve parity with Europe in terms of duty and set up an effective fair fuel stabilizer

  • Fife Access Seminar: to be held in Rothes Halls on 9th June

  • Bellyeoman community Council: Further to concerns over parking at Queen Margaret Hospital, it appears that a travel planning group was established over five years ago and, since then, the situation has got worse

  • Saline through Steelend Road: On the morning of 7th April a white lining unit was spotted renewing the white lines up the centre of the road, including parts that are cracking up. This was queried with Transportation who responded that it was necessary to maintain road safety!!!!

  • Royal Mail: a further letter has been sent to Royal Mail indicating that their responses to previous letters are unacceptable

  • Wind Turbines at Dunduff: Further details of the meeting at Steelend on 19th April are required

  • Common Good Fund: an e mail from Tom Minogue regarding Fife Council’s failure to properly record and maintain a list of Common Good assets of the former royal burghs and asking us to send a letter to our MSP asking to have the Common Good included in the forthcoming Public Records (Scotland) Bill

  • Home and Personal Security: Pc Fraser Aird has been asked to give a presentation


8 A.O.C.B

  • JC reminded members of the Art and Photography Exhibition and asked for volunteers to help with the setting up and dismantling

  • DQ advised of a possible presentation by Fife Constabulary on home security. It was suggested that this be incorporated into the Communities Future event


11. Date of Next Meeting


Tuesday 31st May 2011 at 8pm in Saline Community Centre following the Environmental Group meeting


Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minute of Meeting of 29.03.11, Saline Community Centre



1. Present

Jim Hensman (chair) John Crane, Marie Crane (treasurer), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Helga Corp, Donald Murdoch, Craig Mitchell, Jean Alexander, Joan Featherstone, Liz Crabbie, Dave Quinney, David Chisholm, Kay Jackson, Hilary Warnock, Gareth Turner, Muriel Phillips, Laura McGuinness, Elizabeth Smith, Lisa Howden, Suzanne Turner, Simon Bryant, John Wilson, Craig Mitchell, Lucy Mitchell, Alex Mitchell, Jim Evans, Roger Featherstone, Al Shields, Murray McEwan


2. Apologies


3. First Responders

Murray McEwan and Al Shields (Scottish Ambulance Service) described the workings of First Responders.

The initiative was set up in 2001 and has evolved since 2001. The Ambulance Service must respond to 75% of call within 8 minutes. If this can be reduced, people’s chances of surviving are increased, particularly in a remote area like this. First Responders would help in this but it was stressed that this is not a replacement for an ambulance.

Joan Featherstone indicated that a similar scheme in Lincolnshire had been very successful.

As indicated previously by Hilary Warnock, First Responders would not attend cases where they could be threatened but only on life threatening situations.

A scheme would need a 4-6 person team who are reasonably fit and car drivers. Training would be given via a weekend course.

It was agreed that the initiative be promoted and that interested people should initially contact Hilary


4. Dunduff Residents

Residents are concerned about a proliferation of wind turbine proposals and approval in this area. They do not object to the small turbines that have been erected to date but are concerned at proposals for industrial scale turbines that they feel will have significant impact on the landscape and quality of life for people living close to these.

Gareth Turner advised that SCAAT would be happy to share their experience and suggested that the group should concentrate on the larger turbines. He also recommended that the group focus on Planning issues and to avoid personalizing objections.

John Crane suggested a 2 pronged approach similar to that against the ABO proposals with objections being led by the residents with support from the community council through publicity etc

Jim Evans outlined the farming perspective


5. Minute of Previous Meeting

These Minutes were accepted. Proposed by John Crane, seconded by Dave Quinney


6. Matters arising

None. Covered in main agenda items


7. Treasurer’s Report

The current balance is £1471.82. A £100 donation has been given to the Smilers group. The books are about to be audited and Marie is due to apply for the new grant


8. Planning

The number of applications for wind turbines was noted. In addition, a number of planning applications have been submitted

  • Erection of 2 houses at Loch Road: concern over the condition of the unadopted section of road was expressed. It was felt that the developer should be required to contribute to upgrading and individuals should make this clear to Development Services

  • Subdivision of 34 North Road to form 2 dwellinghouses

  • Conversion of agricultural building at Meadowhead to form dwellinghouse

  • Erection of agricultural building at Muirside of Kinneddar

  • Erection of dwellinghouse at Cadgerford


9. Secretary’s Report

Dave Quinney reported on the following

  • Request from Leuchars Community Council for retention of the RAF base. Agreed

  • Letter from Fair Fuel Lobby. Agreed to support

  • Installation of new grit bins. Noted

  • Letter from Cllr Walker as SNP candidate asking that a question and answer meeting be arranged. The community council declined

  • Minute of meeting with Forestry Commission Scotland re Muirside Estate. It was noted that consultation events are being arranged and people should be encouraged to participate

  • Letter from Bellyeoman Community Council seeking support for improved bus services and parking provision at Queen Margaret Hospital. Agreed

  • Police Presentation

  • Steelend Road: Transportation services still claim that the surface is acceptable but may be considered for treatment in the new financial year

  • Loch Road: Transportation services are speaking to owners of adjoining properties

  • North Road: No appropriate permanent signage is available to warn of snow etc but a temporary warning sign might be possible

  • Royal Mail: standard response to complaints received. This was considered unacceptable and Dave will write again

  • Evening Bus Service: changes welcomed. New timetables available soon

  • Community Action Plan: questionnaires are being distributed

  • Home Security: A free check is available for over 65s, PC Fraser Aird can be contacted on 01592 599599. He is also prepared to give a short talk to this council on home security

  • Scottish Youth Parliament: Claire Ewing has been asked to give a presentation at the 26th April meeting



10. A.O.C.B

  • David Chisholm raised the presence of a large pothole on the Oakley road that had damaged a number of cars. Fife Council’s insurers had refused to compensate. It would be useful if the number of other vehicles damaged could be established

  • It was noted that the newly resurfaced road to Cowstrandburn is already breaking up

  • Progress on the Arts and Photography Exhibition was noted

  • Jim Hensman reported on his and Donald Murdoch’s attendance at a meeting about the new Police Plan


11. Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 26th April 2011 at 8pm in Saline Community Centre following the Environmental Group meeting




Saline and Steelend Community Council

Minute of Meeting of 29.03.11 at Saline Community Centre

1. Present
Jim Hensman (chair) John Crane, Marie Crane (treasurer), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Helga Corp, Donald Murdoch, Craig Mitchell, Jean Alexander, Joan Featherstone, Liz Crabbie, Dave Quinney, David Chisholm, Kay Jackson, Hilary Warnock, Gareth Turner, Muriel Phillips, Laura McGuinness, Elizabeth Smith, Lisa Howden, Suzanne Turner, Simon Bryant, John Wilson, Craig Mitchell, Lucy Mitchell, Alex Mitchell, Jim Evans, Roger Featherstone, Al Shields, Murray McEwan

2. Apologies

3. First Responders
Murray McEwan and Al Shields (Scottish Ambulance Service) described the workings of First Responders.
The initiative was set up in 2001 and has evolved since 2001. The Ambulance Service must respond to 75% of call within 8 minutes. If this can be reduced, people’s chances of surviving are increased, particularly in a remote area like this. First Responders would help in this but it was stressed that this is not a replacement for an ambulance.
Joan Featherstone indicated that a similar scheme in Lincolnshire had been very successful.
As indicated previously by Hilary Warnock, First Responders would not attend cases where they could be threatened but only on life threatening situations.
A scheme would need a 4-6 person team who are reasonably fit and car drivers. Training would be given via a weekend course.
It was agreed that the initiative be promoted and that interested people should initially contact Hilary

4. Dunduff Residents
Residents are concerned about a proliferation of wind turbine proposals and approval in this area. They do not object to the small turbines that have been erected to date but are concerned at proposals for industrial scale turbines that they feel will have significant impact on the landscape and quality of life for people living close to these.
Gareth Turner advised that SCAAT would be happy to share their experience and suggested that the group should concentrate on the larger turbines. He also recommended that the group focus on Planning issues and to avoid personalizing objections.
John Crane suggested a 2 pronged approach similar to that against the ABO proposals with objections being led by the residents with support from the community council through publicity etc
Jim Evans outlined the farming perspective

5. Minute of Previous Meeting
These Minutes were accepted. Proposed by John Crane, seconded by Dave Quinney

6. Matters arising
None. Covered in main agenda items

7. Treasurer’s Report
The current balance is £1471.82. A £100 donation has been given to the Smilers group. The books are about to be audited and Marie is due to apply for the new grant

8. Planning
The number of applications for wind turbines was noted. In addition, a number of planning applications have been submitted
Erection of 2 houses at Loch Road: concern over the condition of the unadopted section of road was expressed. It was felt that the developer should be required to contribute to upgrading and individuals should make this clear to Development Services
Subdivision of 34 North Road to form 2 dwellinghouses
Conversion of agricultural building at Meadowhead to form dwellinghouse
Erection of agricultural building at Muirside of Kinneddar
Erection of dwellinghouse at Cadgerford

9. Secretary’s Report
Dave Quinney reported on the following
Request from Leuchars Community Council for retention of the RAF base. Agreed
Letter from Fair Fuel Lobby. Agreed to support
Installation of new grit bins. Noted
Letter from Cllr Walker as SNP candidate asking that a question and answer meeting be arranged. The community council declined
Minute of meeting with Forestry Commission Scotland re Muirside Estate. It was noted that consultation events are being arranged and people should be encouraged to participate
Letter from Bellyeoman Community Council seeking support for improved bus services and parking provision at Queen Margaret Hospital. Agreed
Police Presentation
Steelend Road: Transportation services still claim that the surface is acceptable but may be considered for treatment in the new financial year
Loch Road: Transportation services are speaking to owners of adjoining properties
North Road: No appropriate permanent signage is available to warn of snow etc but a temporary warning sign might be possible
Royal Mail: standard response to complaints received. This was considered unacceptable and Dave will write again
Evening Bus Service: changes welcomed. New timetables available soon
Community Action Plan: questionnaires are being distributed
Home Security: A free check is available for over 65s, PC Fraser Aird can be contacted on 01592 599599. He is also prepared to give a short talk to this council on home security
Scottish Youth Parliament: Claire Ewing has been asked to give a presentation at the 26th April meeting

10. A.O.C.B
David Chisholm raised the presence of a large pothole on the Oakley road that had damaged a number of cars. Fife Council’s insurers had refused to compensate. It would be useful if the number of other vehicles damaged could be established
It was noted that the newly resurfaced road to Cowstrandburn is already breaking up
Progress on the Arts and Photography Exhibition was noted
Jim Hensman reported on his and Donald Murdoch’s attendance at a meeting about the new Police Plan

11. Date of Next Meeting
Tuesday 26th April 2011 at 8pm in Saline Community Centre following the Environmental Group meeting.


 

Saline and Steelend Community Council
Minute of Meeting of 27.04.10 at Saline Community Centre

1. Present
Jim Hensman (chair), John Crane, Marie Crane (treasurer), Dave Quinney (secretary), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, John Lyon, Helga Corp, Donald Murdoch, Cllr Bill Walker, Cllr Bobby Clelland, Alan & Ella Robertson, Douglas Anderson, Ann Anderson, Sandy Carstairs, John Gordon, Danielle McCaulay, David Chisholm, Kay Jackson

2. Apologies
Dennis and Margaret McIntosh, Ian Walker, Cathy Hall, Roger Featherstone, Muriel Philips

3. Minute of Previous Meeting
These Minutes were accepted. Proposed by Helga Corp, seconded by John Crane

4. Matters arising
• Zig zag lines at school only cover the same area as before.
• Transportation consider that the road surface through Steelend is satisfactory
• Cllr Clelland indicated that the area Committee has agreed to parking restrictions at the school

5. Treasurer’s Report
• Marie Crane indicated that the accounts have been audited and need to be agreed. This was confirmed
• £3,000 has been received from fife Council to permit work on the design of key projects
• £10,000 has been received from the BIG Lottery towards a study of housing needs in the village and the development of ideas. It was agreed that Moray Royles be appointed as architect and that office bearers negotiate a price. It was noted that the aim will be to actively involve potential participants as key players


6. Planning
• Comments on the draft Local Plan have been sent to Fife Council. These welcome the commitment to better quality design and suggest increased development at Comrie Colliery as an alternative to contentious sites in existing communities
• An appeal against fife Council’s refusal of a third house has been submitted. Donald Murdoch has written to the Reporters’ Office asking that a pedestrian link to Argyll Place be required if the appeal is sustained
• Fife Council has confirmed that the new house on West Road complies with the approved plans
• Forestry Commission Scotland is negotiating for the acquisition of the remainder of the Muirside Estate north of the Comrie Colliery access road. The Commission is also acquiring parts of Cadgerford Farm to create a mixed woodland. A consultation on their design plan will be carried out, which will be an opportunity for people to define path preferences. The Commission have indicated that people are free to access the site from day one and it is understood that this is already taking place
• It was noted that Kirklands House and Saline Glen are being sold separately. John Crane indicated that Forestry Commission Scotland had been asked to consider acquisition. Donald Murdoch confirmed that an estimate of essential safety repairs would be £6,500

7. Secretary’s Report
• A letter has been received from BTCV indicating what they can do. It was agreed that a representative be invited to a future meeting. It was noted that the Environmental Group would be joining BTCV, which has insurance advantages.
• A letter re Royal Dunfermline
• A letter re the Fife Access Forum. It was agreed that Dave Quinney should attend
• More consultation letters from NHS Fife

8. Blair House Opencast
• Jim Hensman and John Crane sent a letter to Cowstrandburn and Kinnedar Park residents asking what improvements should be targeted. Danielle McCaulay felt that there was a need for a new play park. Many felt that this was a Fife Council responsibility and John Crane will speak to Peter Howden (Parks) However, it was noted that other communities had enhanced Fife Council’s contribution by raising other funds. The precarious state of Fife Council budgets was also noted.
• There is confusion over who is organizing the Trust Fund but it was felt that this was Fife Council’s responsibility and Andrew Ferguson (Fife Council) will be consulted. It was also felt that there was a need for a local liaison group to deal with issues affecting site operations
• It was agreed that there was merit in a workshop session to discuss possible needs. Davis Chisholm offered to organize this, which was accepted
• Concerns have been expressed about operations to remove trees and officials ability to police activities on the site. However, it was noted that Angus Dodds has sent a strong letter to UK Coal

9. Councillors’ Report
• Cllr Clelland indicated that UK Coal was looking to sell the Blair House site
• Cllr Walker gave an insight into the effect of volcanic ash on Fife Council. 320 teachers were delayed abroad but this is now down to 31
• Cllr Walker shares the community council’s views on the road through Steelend and advised that Transportation continue to be pressed for action

10. Police Report
• Alan Robertson reported on Police consultation events where traffic issues were the main topic. He will attend the next meeting in May.
• Alan also attended a meeting with Stagecoach who indicated the possibility of low-rider buses in the not too distant future

11. Date of Next Meeting
Tuesday 25th May at 8pm in Saline Community Centre following the Arts and Photography and Environmental Group meetings


Saline and Steelend Community Council
Minute of Meeting of 30.03.10 at Saline Community Centre

1. Present
Jim Hensman (chair), John Crane, Marie Crane (treasurer), Dave Quinney (secretary), Isobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Cathy Hall, John Lyon, Helga Corp, Muriel Phillips, Donald Murdoch, Adrienne Lyon, Elizabeth Banks, Laura McGuiness, Cllr Bill Walker, Cllr Bobby Clelland, Linda Bogue, Jean Barbour, Jeanette Anderson, Jan Owen, Liz Pullar, Catherine Cousan

2. Apologies
Dennis and Margaret McIntosh
Jim Hensman asked the group interested in paths for horse riding to introduce themselves

3. Minute of Previous Meeting
These Minutes were accepted. Proposed by Donald Murdoch, seconded by Marie Crane

4. Matters arising
There were no matters arising

5. Treasurer’s Report
Marie Crane stated that community council funds were still as stated at February’s meeting and that the accounts will be sent to Stewart Miller for auditing

6. Planning
• Listed building consent has been given for alterations to Craig House
• The draft Local Plan is out for consultation. This proposes additional housing around Kinnedar Steadings on the basis that this will permit a contribution towards remediation works at Comrie Colliery.
• The Local Plan also proposes a mixed development and opencast working at Comrie Colliery. It was felt that additional development at Comrie Colliery would relieve pressure for development in communities like Saline and Donald will respond accordingly
• The Environment Group’s consultation exercise had shown strong support for the path to Oakley and a need to provide safe routes for horse riders. John Lyon, Jim Hensman and Donald Murdoch will arrange to meet landowners to establish their attitudes.
• Cllr Bill Walker will contact Housing to establish the need for elderly persons’ housing in the village

7. Secretary’s Report
• A letter to be sent to Ian Henderson (Transportation) to have zig zag lines extended at the school to try to prevent parents stopping cars at the school gates
• Police approval needed for a 20mph speed limit on Oakley Road from Eastercraig Gardens to Main Street.
• The poor state of the Steelend Road and bollards
• The protesters at the start of the Blair house opencast mine and the problems of heavy timber lorries using Oakley Road through the village to remove felled trees

8. Councillors’ Report
• Cllr Walker indicated that UK Coal was arranging to evict the protesters
• Cllr Walker gave an insight into Fife Council’s budget cuts and that an established budget does not keep up with inflation

9. Police Report
• A new reporting system is now in place and Police reports will be e mailed to community councils in the future
• 4 people warned for speeding through the village
• Drugs being found among people in High Valleyfield

10. Gala Committee
The committee will be holding a fund-raising race meeting on 15th May in Saline Golf Club and asked for any donations of gifts for prizes.

11. Environmental Group
Jim Hensman said that Saline needs to have an understanding of what other groups in the village do. He invited John Lyon (chair of Saline Environmental Group) to hold a short meeting on items they are looking into.
• Regarding the path to Oakley, it was agreed that John Lyon, Donald Murdoch and members of the horse-riders would investigate the feasibility or the short-term circuit proposed by the riders
• Saline Glen will be inspected for possible acquisition by the community and this will be discussed at a later meeting. Maintenance will be a key issue
• Information Boards for the Glen entrances need to be progressed

12. Chair’s Comments
• The Arts and Photography Exhibition will be held on 8th and 9th May. All will be welcome with tea/coffee etc in the church hall
• New members are needed for Open Forum meetings

13. AOCB
Concern has been raised about the size of the new house being built on West Road. Donald Murdoch will investigate and report back

14 Next Meeting
Tuesday 27h April 2010 at 8pm in Saline Community Centre following the Arts and Photography meeting at 7pm


Minutes of Saline and Steelend Community Council held in the Community Centre on Tuesday 29th September 2009 at 8:00pm


1. Present
Jim Hensman, John Crane, Marie Crane, lsobel Menzies, Irene Wardell, Helga Corp, Muriel Phillips, Donald Murdoch, Joan Featherstone, Roger Featherstone, Gill Hart, Laura McGuinness, Alan Robertson, Ella Robertson, Cheryl Hall, Craig Mitchell, Cllr Bill Walker, PC E McKenzie, Cathie Hall, Irene Walker.

2. Apologies
Dave Quinney, Margaret Mclntosh, Dennis Mclntosh

3. Minute of Previous Meeting
These Minutes were accepted. Proposed by Joan Featherstone, seconded by John Crane

4. Matters arising
Alan Robertson requested an update on financial matters in the Treasurers report. Marie Crane clarified the situation

5. Police Matters
No incidents were reported but several items were discussed: -
• Children playing in the school playground and sheds in the evenings.
• Parents with cars still ignoring “No Parking" signs on Oakley Road, which causes
problems for vehicles passing the school entrance and vehicles, such as buses,
turning into Oakley Road from Main Street.
• Vehicles speeding at the Saline end of Oakley Road and at the double bend
approaching the chicken farm.
• The blind T-junction at Craighouse Place for vehicles entering the village from Oakley, which is seen as "an accident waiting to happen"
• Vehicles still speeding in both directions on Main Street, past the bus turning area, and West Road. There is also concern about the number of speed limit changes between and Steelend and Saline (40mph through Steelend, short derestricted length, 30mph through Saline)
• File Council Transportation Service need to attend the community council to discuss
the above traffic issues and to consider 20mph limits in some areas. Note:
Transportation have previously advised the community council that there was little they could do as they do not have the finances.
• Saline Village Bonfire: Police may be stretched to attend as it is also Remembrance
Weekend and the G20 meeting at St Andrews. It there are any problems, PCs
McKenzie or Davidson should be contacted at Oakley.

6. Treasurers Report
Marie Crane gave an update in addition to matters covered in Item 4

7. Secretary’s Report
There was no report at this time.

8. Planning
Nothing new to report.

9. Chairman’s Comments
John Crane was thanked for the photographs he took of the memorial benches that were recently installed

10. AOB
• Laura McGuinness and Cheryl Hall attended from the Saline Gala Committee. They
reported on the Gala, which went well despite the weather that caused Saturday
events to be transferred to the Community Centre. The Gala itself was opened by
Rosemary Delargie, head teacher at Saline PS. Outdoor events were held on the
Sunday.

The Gala Committee were concerned about the disgusting condition of the toilets at
the Gala Field, which were found to be unusable and appeared to have not been
cleaned for some time. This is impossibly something that can be discussed at the
forthcoming meeting of all village organizations.

The Gala Committee is being re-formed as an Events Committee to organize more
activities in the village and funds to get this started are currently being sought

Donald Murdoch gave an update on projects that could be of value to the village i.e

a. Extending the path through Saline Glen to Steelend.
b. Building a path from Saline to Oakley including traffic controls at the double bend approaching the chicken farm.

• Saline Bonfire will be on Saturday 7th November at 7pm

11. Date of Next Meeting
8pm Tuesday 27th October at Saline Community Centre. All will receive a warm welcome.

 


Blairhall Bogside Cairneyhill Carnock Comrie Crombie Culross Gowkhall Kilbagie Kincardine Newmills Oakley Saline Steelend Torryburn Valleyfield
Site designed by Links Media