NEW Parish Church News
Culross and Torryburn Church of Scotland Parish serves the villages of Culross, High and Low Valleyfield, Newmills, Torryburn, Shiresmill and Blairhall.
On Sunday 17th June there will be Services in High Valleyfield Church at 9.45am followed by refreshments, and in Culross Abbey at 11am with Rev. Liz Fisk.
Coffee mornings with home baking are held in High Valleyfield Church each Tuesday morning 10 – 12. All welcome to come in for a blether with like-minded company.
The Abbey Tea Shop is open Tuesday – Sunday inclusive 11am – 4pm. Come in and enjoy home baking, home made soup and a selection of leaf teas in a pleasant and convivial setting at reasonable cost. Volunteers wishing to help please contact Rae in the Shop.
A date for your diary and consideration of support for the Church stalls at Culross Village Fete and Farmer Market on Sunday 19th August. The Church will field seven stalls and requires books/CDs/toys/bottles (all sorts from vinegar to vodka)/jewellery/bric- a- brac, and items as raffle prizes. Goods must be clean and in a saleable condition and can be left at High Valleyfield Church any Tuesday 1000-1200 or Friday 1100-1300, or contact Agnes Robertson mob. 07414525822 for further information or for help in uplifting goods.
A Repton celebration
This year is the bicentenary of the death of Humphry Repton, the acclaimed landscape designer of the late 18th and early 19th century, whose only commission in Scotland was to improve the Valleyfield Estate, seat of the Preston family until 1907 when it was sold to the Fife Coal Company.
To celebrate his work at Valleyfield along with his impact on landscape design across England, Scotland’s Garden and Landscape Heritage Group recently held a study day at Broomhall House, Charleston.
The day started with a virtual tour of Broomhall House by Lord Bruce, who not only put the house into historical context but also touched upon the exploits of the Elgins in the Middle East. This included a reference to the famous Elgin Marbles, replicas of which line the walls at Broomhall.
Jim Hensman - a modest man with a lot to be proud of
One of The West Fife Villages Community Planning Group's founder members, Jim Hensman, died in March and the tremendous attendance at his funeral paid testimony of the affection and respect he enjoyed.
The following comments advise those who did not know Jim of his contribution to Saline and Steelend, the West Fife villages and beyond.
At Jim's funeral service the Rev Alec Shuttleworth asked how people would describe him. “Since his death he has been variously described as one of the giants of the community giving so much of himself in the care of others, a kind and thoughtful guy, an amazing polite man and a true gentleman, talented and kind unflappable and a joy to be with, and one in a million. All of these are true and none of them is enough”
Future of West Fife Villages' Community Councils up for discussion
The Forum was originally formed in the 1980s as part of an initiative between the then authorities and the Scottish Development Agency to address issues arising from the decline in the local mining industry. As part of this, several projects were carried out throughout the area, including community-led initiatives such as newsletters, computer training and publication of several books.
Attention Young Carers
Are you a young carer?
Are you juggling study time?
Caring for a family member?
Would you like some free time?
Young Carers Respite Fife can help.
Find them on Facebook and Twitter
Email Moira or Adele at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call them on 01592 026112
Consultation on proposals for rezoning school catchment areas
Fife Council have announced that the formal consultation regarding the proposal to rezone the secondary catchment areas has commenced.
The consultation went live on April 17 and interested parties can review the document online at www.fifedirect.org.uk/dunfermlinecatchmentreview and complete the online consultation form at the same address.
The consultation relates to proposals to rezone the catchment areas of Dunfermline, Inverkeithing, Queen Anne and Woodmill High Schools.
Villages guide available as E-Book
The 2018 West Fife Villages Guide has been launched - and for the first time it’s available as an E-Book which can be downloaded to various devices.
Produced by West Fife Villages Community Planning Group, the 52-page print version of the booklet is also available from various outlets.
The E-Book has added features, including links to various places of interest and local businesses.
The E-Book will be updated during the year to promote the area and businesses which can have their details listed without charge.
Produced in Adobe pdf file format, the E-Book can be downloaded to phones, tablets and computers. It is a comparatively small file - just under 2MB - so should download fairly quickly.
Our thanks go to the Big Lottery Fund and also to the Colton Trust, Comrie Colliery Environmental Trust and the Inner Forth Landscape Initiative.
The print booklet and E-Book were launched in Culross Abbey (pictured).
Planning Group chairman, Allan Arbuthnott (third from right), presented a bouquet of flowers to Marie Crane (second from right), whose late husband, John, chaired the group for many years and was one of the main drivers of the E-Book.
A minute's silence was also observed for Jim Hensman, a long serving member of the group, who sadly died the day before the launch.
Woodlands Group gains charity status
The West Fife Woodlands community group has become a registered Scottish Charity Organisation.
Who are we, what we do and where we do it?
The group which was started in 2006 by just two people has now a membership of over 50 members from all walks of life with 25 active members regularly participating on the Monday morning ‘workout’ activities.
Kincardine Bridge works
Amey advise of essential upcoming works they (on behalf of Transport Scotland) are planning to undertake to refurbish the two viaduct spans of the A985 Kincardine Bridge, south of the Swing Span.
This will consist of resurfacing, re-waterproofing, concrete repairs and joint replacement.
Amey are currently planning to commence these works in mid-February 2018, subject to budgetary allowance. Alternatively, this next phase of bridge deck refurbishment will be postponed until late March/early April 2018.
Trails leaflet unveiled
Saline and District Heritage Society has unveiled its latest trails leaflet round Saline and Steelend.
The latest leaflet gives walkers info on two routes that both start in the car park in Steelend although they can be followed in reverse from Saline.
The first route follows the signposted core path towards and turns off towards The Temple with spectacular views to the south. It skirts the bottom of Saline Golf Club before exiting to the B914 road to Saline.
The second route follows the core path as far as Cowstrandburn and returns to the route to The Temple via Bandrum. Users can then either return to Steelend or take the Temple route.
Pupils visit Community Orchard to celebrate Blossom Day
The community orchard at Valleyfield Woodland Park, now in its second year, has been celebrated with the holding of a Blossom Day.
Pupils from St Serf’s, Culross and Torryburn primary schools returned to see how the trees were progressing after they and four other local schools planted the trees back in February 2016.
Grants for paths on offer
Since 1996 it has been based at its present location, a beautiful, peaceful spot above High Valleyfield Woods.
There are indoor and outdoor arenas, as well as a wonderful Sensory Park that’s constantly being developed and improved for the enjoyment of our riders and ponies.
The aim of LEADER is to support local, rural community and business networks, and farms diversifying their activities.
This award was made at the Paths for All 2016 Volunteer Awards Ceremony which was attended by Minister for Public Health and Sport, Aileen Campbell MSP.
The Scotland’s Finest Woods Awards recognises, celebrates and commends the dedication and commitment to the creation and management of Scotland’s finest woods.
It first began generating electricity in 1970 and once fully commissioned, was the largest coal-fired station in Europe. Prior to its closure it was the third largest, after Belchat? in Poland and Drax in England. However with its installed generating capacity of 2,400 megawatts it remained the highest of any power station in Scotland.